Has to be the greatest drink invented in my life time. I've come to love it even more in 2008 b/c I've had a goal of drinking 80 ounces of water a day which means I drink less Diet DP, which only means that when I do get my hands on one??? Oh my goodness...(creepy, I know.)
Anyway, I get on kicks where I'm all about Diet Pepsi too, but my mainstay is Diet DP. ("There's nothing diet about it" you know.)
So here's the deal...There are indeed different Diet Dr. Peppers. You can't just assume that the Diet DP you get at one location is the same as it is at another place.
My Top 5:
5. Whataburger Diet DP - You gotta love the thick styrofoam cups but that's about it. Sometimes its too syrupy, sometimes too carbonated but never "just right". Another reason WB is at the bottom of this list...I often get Diet DP from the self-serve fountain thingy only to sit down and realize that they've actually hooked up regular DP to the Diet. If you're a hardcore Diet drinker, you know that is NOT a pleasant experience. So why did it even make #5? Because its WHATABURGER and i'll gladly sacrifice the perfect Diet DP once in a while for the perfect WB, mustard, pickles, onions only (no cheese).
4. Sonic's Diet DP just isn't sweet enough...if by some chance the president of Sonic is reading my blog (which i'm sure he/she is), you guys need to cut back on the carbonation and add some syrup. Sonic does score some points though because they have the greatest ice on the planet.
3. McDonalds Diet DP - now if you know me well...this could come as somewhat of a shock, because I have for years, been anti Mickey D's. I don't like there food (still) and I've always hated the fact that when they serve you a drink there, they give you a 1977 wax paper cup with like 4 ice cubes. Can you say unacceptable? But...that all changed over the past couple of years when two things happened: McDonalds FINALLY switched to styrofoam (welcome to the 21st century) and many locations now have self-serve drink stations like WB and other fine establishments.
2. Diet DP (and Caffiene Free Diet DP) that you buy in the store (cans - i'm anti 2 liter - don't ask me why), is awesome if you keep it cold in the fridge then poor it over ice. But if you keep it room temperature then poor it over ice...NOT good. Drinking straight out of the can is not an option either. Makes my eyes water.
That leads us too....
1. Chick-Fil-A Diet Dr. Pepper - matched by no other...Chick-fil-a is hands down the greatest blend of syrup, aspertame and carbonation ever created. I cannot remember ever being disappointed with one Diet DP from the "Christian Chicken", which I guess makes it the "Christian Diet DP", which really doesn't matter b/c I'd still drink it no matter what. It has it all...Thick styrofoam, perfect ice level and perfect Diet DP. Life is good. So......just about ever morning around 8am, you can find me at 2301 E. Southlake Blvd., Southlake, TX getting my morning fix of the greatest beverage on the planet.
Have a great Wednesday.